Polyimide performance, features and advantages of the synthetic chemistry can be processed in a variety of methods show, among the polymers, it is hard to find such as polyimide having such a wide range of applications, and in every application areas it shows another very prominent polymer properties. At present, there are widely used a polyimide:
(1) Film: polyimide is one of the first commodity, for motor slot insulation and cable wrapping material. In recent years, applications in flexible printed wiring board has formed a huge industry. The main products are DuPont's Kapton, Ube Industries and Kaneka's Upilex series of Apical. Transparent polyimide film solar cells can be used as a soft bottom plate.
(2) Coatings: paint used as an insulating wire, or use as a heat resistant coatings.
(3) Advanced composite materials: for the aerospace, aircraft structural components and engine parts and rockets. Can be used at a temperature of 380 ℃ or higher hundreds of hours, a short time can withstand high temperature 400 ~ 500 ℃, it is the most high temperature polymer matrix composites.
(4) Fiber: Elastic modulus carbon fiber behind, is an enhancer of advanced composite materials, It can be used as a filter material and bulletproof, fireproof fabric high temperature medium and radioactive substances.
(5) Foam: for high temperature and ultra-low temperature thermal and acoustic insulation materials.
(6) Engineering: there are a thermosetting thermoplastic, it may be molded by injection molding or transfer molding. The main lubrication, sealing, insulating and structural materials for self.
(7) Adhesives: for high temperature structural adhesive.
(8) Membrane: for a variety of gases, such as hydrogen / nitrogen, nitrogen / oxygen, carbon dioxide and / or methane, nitrogen separation, removing moisture from the air, the hydrocarbon feed gas and alcohols. It can also be used for pervaporation membrane and ultrafiltration membrane. Since the polyimide thermal performance and resistance to organic solvents, has a special significance in the separation of organic liquids and gases.
(9) Resist: There are positive and negative plastic glue, ready for use water developer, with sub-micron resolution. And pigments or dyes can be used with the color filter, it can greatly simplify the processing operations.
(10) Application of microelectronic devices: Used as a dielectric layer, interlayer insulation, as a buffer layer can reduce stress and improve yield. As the protective layer can reduce the environmental impact of the device can also act as a shield for α- particles, to reduce or eliminate soft errors on the part.
(11) LCD alignment arrangement agent used: Polyimide TN-LCD, STN-LCD, TFT-LCD and future aspects of the ferroelectric liquid crystal display material aligning agent occupies a very important position.
(12) The Light Material: Materials used as passive or active waveguides, optical switches and other materials, fluorine-containing polyimide is transparent in the wavelength range of communications; Polyimide substrate as a luminescent groups can improve the stability of the material.
(13) Proton transport membranes: Especially as a fuel cell separator of a methanol fuel cell, methanol permeability which is much lower than the conventional perfluorosulfonic acid membrane (Nafion).
(14) Biocompatible material: Fluorine-containing polyimide of blood and tissue compatibility of such applications in biocompatible materials has aroused interest.
In summary, Easy to see many of the heterocyclic aromatic polyimide polymer may be the reason why from the 1960s, 1970s to the fore, eventually become reasons for an important class of polymer materials.